Friday, August 20, 2010

Plumerias


This is how our beautiful plumerias look when they bloom.




This is the yellow one and it bloomed out while we were in Las Vegas last week. Yellow is one of my favorite colors.
These are three pictures of our pink plumeria. It's been blooming all summer.



Randy's sister, Dorothy Ann, gave us all these. They are huge and I plan to cut them back when we bring them into the garage this winter.

I also have a new red plumeria that a sweet friend brought back to me from Hawaii. She returned to Arkansas recently when her husband was deployed to Afghanistan. She brought me five cuttings and I planted one and shared the others. Mine is about 8 inches tall and looks like a stalk. I don't know how long it'll take for it to bloom...maybe even 2-3 years??

Plumerias are very easy to grow, but I don't think you could grow them further north than we are in southern Arkansas. They like sun and humidity. Rather early in the fall we bring them into our garage. They stay there all winter with no watering. All the leaves fall off. In the late spring Randy puts them back out on the deck and waters them good. Soon they begin to leaf out. They haven't bloomed every year, but now they are taller than me.

I have certainly done a terrible job on the spacing of the pictures in this post, but apparently I still have a lot to learn about this blog site. I can't get the pictures quite where I want them, nor can I delete any of them. Maybe next time...

2 comments:

Lavonda Pflug said...

The flowers are so pretty. My daughter who lives in Hawaii asked me if I thought I could get them to grow here, but I think it would be too hot and dry in the summer and too cold in the winter. Yours are cool though.

Deanna said...

Thanks for commenting Lavonda. I don't think plumerias would grow in Amarillo either. They do well in Houston though because it's so hot and humid in the summer...and not too cold in the winter. I'm kind of surprised they do well for us in south Arkansas.